Saturday 21 January 2012

Why a systems architect needs cufflinks


There are some days when I'm glad I'm so lazy that I can’t even get up from the sofa where I'm typing this whilst watching Mythbusters blow something up for the three millionth time to find my wallet. Otherwise, if I were more go getting and active, I might have got up, found my wallet and dropped £200 on this pile of geek-crack.
Pay attention 007, just in case your presentation is too big to email...

Yup, wifi cufflinks. Utterly pointless and utterly useless but also great in a kind of super cyber spy/ultimate consultant kind of way. They have a wee dongle thing which you can plug into your laptop to make it a wifi hotspot (possibly redundant to share your laptop wifi no?) and a mildly parsimonious 2Gb USB stick in the other. You know, total cobblers but sneakily wonderful. “has anyone got a USB drive?” Why yesh money-penny” and watch as the nearest “choose-your-gender-I-can’t-be-arsed-with-sexist-assumptions-today” hottie faints at your awesome geek powers as you whip it out from your cufflinks.

I can’t explain it, I know these are utter, utter crap and very expensive utter crap as well, but part of me, the part we don’t talk about part of me, the one all of us who work in technology share to one degree or another, wants these.

In fact selling to the technology community is a piece of piss if you can work this out. It’s the lure of basic functionality mixed with a “shiney-thing” veneer of classy design with perhaps a soupçon of exclusivity and panache. This explains much, from the success of Apple’s kit to much of the buzz around various social media venues. Let’s face it, there is a lot of so called cool kit out there which adds very little to our lives yet we lust after its combination of exclusivity and supposed sex appeal to the point where we turn off large parts of our critical and analytical facilities to justify our purchase. Too easily we become rabid fanboys/fangirls, slave to which ever purveyor of tat we have persuaded ourselves is wonderful beyond belief.

This is mildly harmless when applied to consumer goods. The choice of which phone is better doesn’t really matter much* but when we bring our technology prejudices to play in the enterprise arena then mistakes can start to cost money and even, at worst case, lives. There are a lot of people out there who will only recommend technology camp X or enterprise stack Y, even when it’s wrong for the customer, unworkable in that scenario, poor value or an unwinnable sale. I’ve been as guilty of this as anyone else in the past and had to learn painful and expensive lessons as to why I was wrong. This is why we teach consultants and systems designers architecture. So that they can analyse a customer’s requirements, produce a functional specification and map that to the capabilities of various technologies and recommend the right one for the customers needs. That or use it to justify their shonky “same as always” technology choice in a weasely pseudo scientific way of course. Either way systems architecture is important, the method of getting to the solution and working out exactly what it is you are supposed to be delivering is the best place to start work, even if you have to wear wifi cufflinks to really be one.

Incidentally you can buy those cufflinks from here:wifi cufflinks... if you really have to.

* well apart from the fact it’s obviously my phone, your phone is for doofuses, my phone makes me into a latter day James Bond/astronaut/billionaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment